To maintain good oral hygiene one should take care of their teeth and gums. Following healthy practices like brushing your teeth twice a day and going for regular dental checkups are things that everybody knows about. Here in this article, we explain 5 best practices that can be followed to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Research shows a strong association between oral health and overall body health. As per dental experts, oral health issues are a global health burden. Tooth decay and gum issues lead to pain and even tooth loss without proper treatment. These problems might lead to malnutrition, speech issues, and other such challenges that an individual can face in school, personal life, and work.
But the good news is that you can prevent these issues with the best dental care. Here are five tips for healthy teeth and gums:
1. Brush regularly but never aggressively: Almost all people are aware that brushing teeth twice a day is a vital practice for removing plaque and bacteria and keeping your teeth clean. But brushing is effective only when people use it in the correct way. People must brush in a modified Bass Technique that is keeping the bristles at a 45degree angle at the gum line, brushing downwards for the facial and inner surface of upper teeth and upwards for lower teeth, circular motion on the chewing surfaces of back teeth, not forgetting to cover whole teeth. Make sure to brush the front, back, and top of all teeth. The whole process takes between 2 to 3 minutes. People must avoid brushing in back and forth motions. When you brush too hard or use a hard-bristled toothbrush, it causes damage to both gums and enamel. The effect of this might include tooth sensitivity, permanent tooth damage, and gum erosion. According to the American Dental Association, it is often recommended to brush teeth with a toothbrush having soft bristles. They have also stated that all toothbrushes must be changed once every three months.
2. Make use of fluoride: Fluoride is derived from an element present in the earth's soil known as fluorine. As per experts, fluoride assists in preventing cavities, and it is one of the most common ingredients used in mouthwash and toothpaste. Many products do not contain fluoride, and many people do not use it. Lack of fluoride can cause tooth decay. The latest review also shows that brushing and flossing cannot prevent people from getting cavities if they are not using fluoride. Make sure you buy fluoride toothpaste next time you visit a store.
3. Floss once a day: Flossing helps remove the plaque and bacteria between your teeth that your toothbrush cannot reach. It also assists in preventing bad breath by removing debris and food that gets trapped between your teeth.
Dental health professionals recommend slowly pushing the dental floss all the way down to the gum line before you hug the side of your tooth with several up and down motions. It is vital to avoid shattering the floss up and down between your teeth which can lead to pain and cannot remove the plaque effectively.
4. Go for regular dental checkups: According to dental experts, it is always good to see a dentist every six months for an oral health checkup and a routine dental cleaning of your teeth which removes plaque and hard tartar to keep your gums and teeth healthy. The dentist will look for visual signs of gum diseases, receding gums, mouth cancer, cavities, and other oral health problems. They might use x-rays to check for cavities. People can speak to their dentist about how often they need dental checkups. The answer will vary based on a person's health history.
5. Avoid smoking: Smokers always cause harm to their immune system, for which it becomes very difficult for the body to cure tissues, even including those in your mouth. Smoking is a risk factor for gum disease, and people who smoke might experience gradual healing after the whole dental procedure. Smoking also affects the mouth appearance, which leads to yellowing of teeth and tongue, and it also gives a bad odor. Smoking also affects the appearance of the mouth, leading to yellowing of the teeth and tongue, and it can give breath a bad odor.
Along with these five major practices for maintaining healthy teeth and gums, there are certain other measures that you can follow, such as
Practicing the best dental care right from infancy to adulthood can assist a person in keeping their teeth and gums healthy. It is important to get in touch with a good dentist whenever you have any concerns about the health of your gums and teeth, which also includes dental products and treatment. Besides that, make sure you have chosen the best dentist in a reputed clinic. MyDentalPlan has a network of good dentists who can help you get the best dental care.
About the Author:
Suprithi Choudhary, M.Pharm (Pharmacology) Medical Content writer
Suprithi is a Pharma Professional working as a medical content writer and previously worked as a Research Scientist and Senior Research Analyst
Special thanks to Dr Deepak Kulkarni, a dental surgeon with over 23 years of experience who proofread this blog. He graduated from the H.K.E's Dental College, Gulbarga, and has certifications in ACHS International Accreditation Education Plan; Advanced Rotary Endodontic - Restorative Continuum; and Leadership, Team Building and Customer Service Leadership from the Oscar Murphy International.